WWE Extreme Rules 2018 REVIEW

WWE Extreme Rules 2018 Review


Going into this Extreme Rules PPV, I wasn't particularly impressed nor excited for the matches that were set. Some random affairs without a strong story. After having watched the ppv, I was left feeling exactly how I felt before I watched; neutral. In fact, it was just a whole four hours of underwhelming match ups with only few moments striking excitement in me. Let's take a look at each individual match in the order in which they happened (excluding pre-show, which I didn't get around to watching)


The Deleters of Worlds vs The B-Team (Raw Tag-Titles): Going into this matchup, there was a decent "filler" story going into it with a new developed team, the B Team. By filler, I mean that they should've been some opponents for The Deleter of Worlds to conquer until they get to more credible opponents. So yeah, I fully expected and wanted them to win, but that obviously was not the case. It made for a nice shock moment having B Team win I suppose, but it completely negates the awesome moment when Matt and Bray united and won the tag titles, making their reign completely underwhelming. The match itself was alright, nothing spectacular.



Finn Balor vs Baron Corbin: I love Finn Balor, and am always for him winning. And I am glad that's exactly what happened. The story going into this match was not very strong, but it's nice that these two superstars who certainly play huge roles on Raw found their way onto the card. Once again, the match was nothing amazing, the highlight was simply having Balor win and gain some momentum. It came at the expense of Corbin losing some of his own momentum, but the difference here is that one of these guys still needs a Universal title rematch to get their title that they never lost.... Hmm.... So when that happens (if ever) he'll have some nice solid momentum and wins to refer back to.


Carmella vs Asuka (Smackdown Women's Title): I would like to start off by saying that I've been LOVING Carmella's reign, unlike most people. In my opinion, she really is money. With the Smackdown Women's title now around her waist, she's really grown as a classic heel character and every time she has a mic, it's amazing. Sure, she doesn't do spectacular moves in the ring, but I feel like her character make up for it completely. It's also important to give her a solid reign considering she is the first ever Women's MITB winner. The match with Asuka went by fast, and it never really felt like a real match, considering the gimmick and James' involvement, which I found very humorous btw. Though my concern doesn't rely on Carmella remaining champion, it relies on Asuka being pinned. Twice. Not a very good move by WWE. I was all in for Carmella to retain, just in a different fashion which wouldn't further damage Asuka's character. (perhaps countout, DQ, just not pinfall)


Nakamura vs Jeff Hardy (US Title): I was shocked by a quick victory by Nakamura, though then I had remembered reading of rumblings that Jeff might be injured, so it makes sense. Giving Shinsuke the United States title was a good move at this point in his career, considering he just came out of his story with AJ in which they fought about 62 times and he wasn't able to pick up a single victory. It made him lose quite a bit of credibility the fact that he wasn't able to get the job done especially after his heel turn. That aside, this new title reign will hopefully help him regain some momentum and reignite his heel character. The low blow once again fit perfectly in this scenario. One of the few excitement moments that I referred to earlier came when Randy Orton returned. I was definitely not expecting a nut shot by him to Jeff and I'm thinking it was a heel turn. Or maybe not? I'm not sure, but this seems like a really fresh and interesting story going forward.


Braun Strowman vs Kevin Owens: This one was an interesting matchup heading into the ppv. I actually enjoyed the humorous story that went with these two and putting them in a steel cage was the perfect touch. I think I was sold once Strowman threw Owens while inside a portable potty. Some may disagree, but it's moments like those that make the product much more interesting. Funny events as well as shocking never-before-seen moments. The match was very solid. It wasn't too technical, but it fit with the dynamic and story going in. I've been loving Braun's character for the past months now and he keeps getting better. The whole package. I was also not expecting that huge chokeslam spot from the top of the cell! It was truly awesome for Kevin taking it and another moment for both their resumes, and will stand out in the future when looking back at the PPV.


The Bludgeon Brothers vs Team Hell NO (Smackdown Tag-Titles): Underdog Daniel Bryan was in full effect in this match. There was some solid action, but yet again, nothing we haven't seen before. I'm very glad Team Hell No is back, though one might question why this supposed dominant team, The Bludgeon Brothers, even needed to attack the others in the first place. I'm a big fan of The Bludgeon Brothers, so I'm glad they did win and retain, though it could've been done in a more superior fashion. It's likely though that Team Hell No will recover and eventually get the gold.


Bobby Lashley vs Roman Reigns: I have no idea what is happening anymore when it comes to the Universal title picture. Brock is gone, Roman fought him a bunch of times (while kicking out of 17 F5's, talk about overkill), they were on the verge of ruining Bobby, and side note of something I'm still bitter about: The Undertaker's streak is over and took another loss against Roman. Sorry, got sidetracked. Anyways, the whole story is messy, but at least the match they had was actually pretty good. I was initially intrigued on how the dynamic between these two powerhouses would be and the match delivered. I also love that Bobby won, as it brings a new person into the title scene. Though I will say, just to go with the story that Roman's feet hit the floor first, there should've been a rematch between them where they give Roman his coronation already and then Bobby swoops in and takes it from Roman. Actually, should've happened at Wrestlemania but I guess at the end of the day, none of it matters because it'll be Braun Strowman who gets the last laugh.


Nia Jax vs Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title): Another match between these two, and it was a decent one that was made that way because of others involvement (Mickie James and Ronda Rousey) In fact, their previous two matches actually delivered more than I thought they would, so points for them. Nia is also greatly improving on her in ring skills, so that's good for her. I have my own version on how this whole Raw Women's title picture should've gone since Wrestlemania, but it clearly hasn't panned out the way I would've preferred. To sum it up, it does not involve Alexa winning MITB nor Ronda in the title picture (just yet) and a dominant reign by Nia. But ok, this is what we now have, and I think it'll be alright. Though Alexa should not be in the title picture at this time, considering the circumstances, It makes sense that she retained so that it can eventually be Ronda to take it from her. Sucks that Nia doesn't get her dominant reign though. I always love the usage of trash cans as weapons and Ronda's involvement was of course the highlight. Also, can Mickie finally be a force to be reckoned with in the division and once again capture the title at this point??


Rusev vs AJ Styles (WWE Title): To start off, I'm never too excited for Rusev and his Rusev Day character like everyone else is. It's fun and all, and I'm glad it's giving him some spotlight he deserves, but I was of course 100 percent rooting for AJ Styles and a successful defense. I would just say keep the title on AJ until someone more credible comes along. Who could that be? I'm not sure, haven't thought too much about it, but I was in fact imagining a scenario where AJ was about to deliver his phenomenal forearm and the "GONG" was heard and for the one and only Undertaker to come out. I would've loved that so much!! But I also want his rematch with John Cena... Anyways, the match was pretty good, one highlight being the 450 splash. Always a beautiful execution.


Dolph Ziggler vs Seth Rollins (IC Title): I thought this one was the best match all night, despite the unexpected slower pace. I thought it would be much faster and constant reversals and execution of spectacular moves, though can't complain too much considering they were expected to work a 30 minute match, and would eventually get gassed out. Despite being slower than expected, there were still many solid moments and moves. I'm always impressed when Seth Rollins gets his burst of energy and goes to the top rope to deliver the suplex into Falcon Arrow. Seth Rollins always impresses in the ring, especially as of late, and I wish he got the IC title back and continued into a lengthy reign. But hey, let's hope that eventually he takes back his place at the top and wins even bigger prizes. I will say that I was a bit humored by the constant clock countdown followed by the "ERRGGH", though I did feel bad at some points because it came when cool moments were being created in the ring which were essentially ignored. I also feel like Kurt should've definitely restarted the match again following Drew's involvement, but whatever. Still a very good match nonetheless.



Superstar of the Night: Bobby Lashley
Match of the Night: Dolph Ziggler vs Seth Rollins (Ironman Match, IC Title)

Favorite Moment: Chokeslam from Braun to Owens from top of Steel Cage
Biggest Shock: Randy Orton attacks Jeff Hardy

Title that should've changed hands: IC Title
Title that SHOULDN'T have changed hands: Raw Tag Titles

Overall Extreme Rules 2018 grade: 5.5/10


That is all for my Extreme Rules 2018 review. Hope you all enjoyed, and feel free to share your thoughts on the PPV below. Thank you for reading!

Until next review,
HTreviewer

Comments