Detective Pikachu Review

I waited so long to watch this movie, but it was worth it when I finally did.
Image result for detective pikachu


I absolutely LOVED Detective Pikachu. It was everything I could have asked for as a Pokemon fan and more. The humor was at the right point to get people of all ages laughing, the plot had some emotions, there were twists I didn't see coming, and of course, so many cute Pokemon designs!

The movie started off with the emotions high as Tim's father, supposedly, dies in a mysterious crash. It was setting up the eventual case that needed to be solved, and it was a case that had substance and wasn't just something for laughs. It was written to get the audience emotionally involved, and it worked well by the end. I loved the clues that slowly began taking form through out the movie, and how we eventually get to the climax.

Image result for detective pikachu

Having Mewtwo as a prime focus of this movie was an excellent choice. He is one of the most powerful and famous Pokemon of all time, and the callback to the first Pokemon movie was enough to get me giddy, while the casual fan was able to appreciate his presence as he is recognized as one of the originals. I liked having him aid his fellow Pokemon 'brothers' and him having a hatred for human beings, as it fits perfectly on par with his original character in the anime and original movies.

There was a twist in the movie that definitely caught me off guard, and that was when Howard in reality wanted to fuse his mind and become Mewtwo, as well as fuse the Pokemon's mind and their owners' together. Perhaps I'm just a gullible person, but I certainly didn't get an ounce of 'evil' from him when we was introduced and showed Tim the hologram on the supposed car crash. Alas, he of course didn't truly show everything, being the Greninja's aiding in the crash itself. Speaking of Greninja... WOW. My eyes widened. Their designs were so good, and just him being one of my favorite Pokemon of all time was enough to make me call it a day and call this the best movie in the world. Ok, exaggerating... Maybe not, but moving on anyways.

Image result for detective pikachu mewtwo





This brings me to my next point, and that's the designs of the Pokemon. I have no complaints whatsoever, and I truly loved and appreciated seeing many Pokemon not just from the original Kanto region, but also from all of the other regions as well. It had some lesser known Pokemon and some of the classic, having a nice balance of nostalgia, and the new generations of Pokemon. I was having a blast looking across the large theater screen spotting all kinds of Pokemon and gushing over their realistic design. I wanted to hug every last one of them. Especially Detective Pikachu himself. But not Charizard! Or Gyarados... (but wow, those two were some of the greatest and most bad*ss designs in the entire movie) Nonetheless, every Pokemon was represented truly well.

Detective Pikachu, I must say, was the highlight of the entire thing, of course, as the movie title suggests. His one liners landed excellently, and I was surprised at how much I was laughing from his dialogue. He was charming, hilarious, and super cute all at the same time. He was given a lot to work with, and his character was actually many more layers deep than we initially thought, because of another twist coming at the end of the movie. I must say, it was a tad bit convoluted and I'm not sure if I completely got my head around it just yet... so, he was Tim's father the whole time?!? There was both laughter in the audience and indistinct mumbles when this twist occurred, seemingly because it was ridiculous, but also kind of clever. So, ridiculously clever. It made for a unique twist no one saw coming, and also gave a satisfying closure to the case of Tim's missing, "dead" father, and the mystery behind it.

Image result for detective pikachu


Not only did humor bask itself through the entire movie, but many epic and thrilling scenes did as well. The secret battle arena with forbidden Pokemon battles was an interesting and clever edition, as the town promoted peace and harmony between people and Pokemon, but the intense underground battles is a sharp contrast to that. There was also the exciting scene where the monstrous Torterras were lifting themselves from the ground, causing a very visually captivating scene between the characters trying to avoid trouble and death. it was just so satisfying seeing the slow destruction caused by them. I think the animation is what truly sold me.

If I had to give a complaint of any kind, it would be the various plot pints that left me a little bit tangled in my thoughts, piecing together what was going on. Basically, it got a little bit convoluted in my head because there was so much to focus on, but it wasn't too much trouble as it was at least presented in a clear fashion, and the end point and goal for the movie and the characters was clear as day.



Image result for detective pikachu

Overall, I'd like to say, if I haven't already, this movie was absolutely fantastic. From a big Pokemon fan standpoint, and from a regular viewer wanting to have fun watching a movie standpoint. We received emotions, action, cuteness, humor and epicness, all in one movie. Best of all, it was based on Pokemon. It managed to create something new for the franchise that hasn't already really been seen before, while still making it feel like Pokemon and apart of its world. Detective Pikachu is a solid 11 out of 10 for me, and I am currently awaiting the announcement of Detective Pikachu 2. Or... Detective Psyduck? Why not! Any movie where I can see Pokemon animated like this, or featuring Pokemon at all, would be a much watch.

Image result for detective pikachu greninja

Thank you for reading!

-HTreviewer


Comments