SpongeBob Spin-Off, Kamp Koral, thoughts and opinions

There are a few SpongeBob spin-offs in the works, and one of them has finally been revealed. Kamp Koral will have 13 episodes in CG and serves as a prequel to the main show in SpongeBob's world.
Image result for spongebob

A lot of people I can imagine are rolling their eyes at the idea of a spin-off for SpongeBob. Many think the show itself is already out of touch and lost most of its charm ever since season 3 and after the movie. I've heard that opinion countless times, and while yes, I can see why many people have that opinion, I also feel like the only soul on Earth that appreciates the seasons that came after. Yeah, I know others feel that way as well, but it's very limited and hard to find.

So on top of the common opinion that "new SpongeBob sucks," this series will be done completely in CG. This is problematic for some as they are used to the traditional style of 2D animation for SpongeBob, and what it comes down to, people don't like change. It's both understandable, yet bizarre to me. I can understand the fear of something new and the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but I struggle to understand the lack of appreciation for a company or product or whatever it is to attempt something new in order to attract new people and perhaps improve the product. SpongeBob has already done CG for the second movie, and it worked out really well in my opinion. It's simply fresh seeing the characters in a different style once in a while, which is what also made episodes such as "It's a SpongeBob Christmas," and "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom" so special with their charming stop-motion animation.

Image result for spongebob movie 2


The idea of a prequel for SpongeBob is intriguing to me as the show in general doesn't have much lore or in depth story, so giving it a prequel adds a little bit more backstory to the characters which is pretty cool. I always love when some episodes go a little bit further and past the surface to give the world some more story, with episodes such as "Pull Up A Barrel" where we got a taste of Mr. Krabs' old days as a navy man. The episode was probably a bit of an exaggeration for cartoon purposes, but was still really cool to get to know Mr. Krabs' character a little bit more.

13 episodes is a pretty decent amount to get the ball rolling for this spin-off, and I can imagine the long process of CGI if they want it to look good, so it's the perfect number. It's not too many, but not too little, so they have just the right amount to see if it will be a success or not. Nonetheless, I am very excited for this spin-off being a massive SpongeBob fan myself. More SpongeBob always makes me happy, and this is only just the beginning. Season 13? SpongeBob game show? Kamp Koral? More Spin-offs? The 20th anniversary live special?

Related image


All of this new content is a SpongeBob superfan's dream, and it's all coming true. I cannot wait.

Comments